Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Simple Thank You...

My dad came to visit this weekend and met M for the first time. He has joined the ranks of the smitten grandparents, wrapped around M's finger. My brother Trex also made it up for part of the weekend. Like C said in her last blog, having family together in the same room is priceless.

My dad spent 20 years in service to his country before retiring. Growing up an Army brat had its challenges; I started kindergarten in New Jersey, spent the middle of the school year in Connecticut, and finished the year out in Georgia. When you also factor in an AM kindergarten, a PM kindergarten, and an all day kindergarten it's no wonder I came out of it shy and slightly confused.

At the same time, I have had opportunities that many people haven't. For example, how many people get to have the childhood trauma of seeing an overweight and stark nude German couple relaxing in a sauna? Ok, so maybe that's not the best example. But I have been to Mozart's birthplace and, dork that I am, that's pretty awesome.

People come to lives of service for many different reasons. We probably don't think about why very often. On Veteran's Day I'd like to say to all those who have served and are currently serving: Thank you, whatever your reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment